Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A mini triathlon at 28 weeks pg

A friend of mine called me back in Feb and asked me to compete in a triathlon with her (her first). She had forgotten I was pregnant and I questioned whether I could do it at 28 weeks pg. But as the weeks went on I knew I could do it, the tri was a super short sprint distance. But the 8 hour round trip drive as well as the entry fee just to show I could do it deterred me from actually signing up. But I still wanted to prove I could do it so I set up my own triathlon this past weekend and did fine at 27 weeks 6 days pg.
So my guidelines were to follow the exact distances of the aformentioned tri.
Here was their description:
Swim:
The swim will be 400 yards (16 lengths), in the pool at High School. Enter through the north side gate to the pool. After the swim exit the south gate into the transition area.


Bike:The bike is a flat fast 9 mile course out and back. Leave the transition area heading east on the access road. The bike turnaround is located at the Airport.

Run:The run is a 2 mile course mainly around the school campus. Leave the transition area heading east on the access road.

My idea was to swim at my local pool, jump out and bike and run in the neighborhoods near the pool. However I was worried about biking on city streets being pregnant. So I revised my plan and decided to have a long transistion time between swim and bike and drive up to a trail to finish my last two events. I had a friend of mine ride and run with me just to have someone there in case of emergency.

My mini tri stats: 550 yd swim-completed in ~12 min.
10 mile bike ride-completed in ~42 min (I have to check my GPS for exact times.)
2 mile run-completed in ~23 min (once again I have to see GPS)

I felt fine doing the tri, I was even clipped in on my bike. (That was another worry I had, being clipped in while pg but being on a trail and my riding experience helped.) I was exhausted by the end of the day though. :)

On a positive note, I looked at finishing times for the tri and I would have been around 5th in my age group with my times. Well, there was only 10 total in that age group, I told you it was a small tri. Maybe next year when I'm not pg I can finish in the top 3. :)

1 comment:

KK @ Running Through Life said...

A huge congrats to you!!! That is awesome!