Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Working out while sick

It's asked everywhere, I'm catching a cold, I'm sick...should I still work out? I usually follow the rule if you're sick from the neck up it's fine to keep working out, if it's from the neck down then no.
ie. Head cold, runny nose, congestion etc, fine to work out. Coughing, sore throat, fever, vomiting, achy no working out.

Last Saturday, 10 days ago!!, I caught a cough. Yes, it started out directly as a deep chest cough. It totally ruined my 3 day weekend because I was worn out and just coughing all day and night. After a few days of coughing, my throat got sore on a couple of occasions because I was coughing so hard. Fast forward to this past weekend. 7 days in, I was over being sick. I had lost motivation in doing anything, no running or exercising, no cleaning the house, no grocery shopping, no anything. I was ready to be healthy. But this weekend I wake up feeling worse. Super congested, sick tasting mouth and my cough got so bad that I gagged and threw up on two separate occasions. (Yes, I have an issue when I cough hard I start to gag. My gag reflex initiates during coughing fits, it sucks!)

10 days in and *maybe* I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not coughing as much though walking up and down the stairs at work does get me going. I'm not waking up with sick mouth and I'm starting to feel a little normal. I'm hoping by Thursday (do you hear that body?) I can try to attempt a short run and not cough myself to death afterwards. We'll see how my spin class goes on Wednesday (last Wed I had to suck on cough drops and drink a ton of water and still coughed my way through class).

Oh and best part of this illness?! EVERYONE in my family has it. The hubby and both kids. Which means everyone is coughing, everyone is waking up in the middle of the night. We have gone through several boxes of kleenix, numerous bags of cough drops and a bottle of Nyquil. It's not pretty at our house. I'm soooo OVER being sick. Thursday body, you hear that?! Thursday!!

3 comments:

Viva said...

I hope you kick yours sooner than I kicked mine - took 18 days to get over. :(

Sugar said...

That sucks. :(

Amy said...

It seems everyone is sick, I've been sick for the last week or so and have been wanting to start working out and working with my dog on some new things. I've had to hold off due to being sick. If I'm not better by Monday I'm going to have to go in.

-Amy
Talented K9