Sunday, October 3, 2010

The infamous sub-2 half marathon

It's no secret that that is my goal. Finishing in under 2 hours. I've been close...2:06, but I can't seem to get there. For today's half marathon I trained with a fast runner. I trained hard and I tried to do the best I could. But alas...I didn't even PR. :( I can blame it on a number of reasons but it really comes down to I just didn't have it in me. I wish I could have met up with my new running partner at the start, but I didn't find her. Not that running with her would have guaranteed a PR. She finished in 1:59, amazing! I'm so proud of her, and a tiny bit jealous. :)

But the main thing I need to understand is that not every race will be a PR for me. Since I started running...and I mean really running races, my situation has been a little different. I started running half marathons in 2005. I ran my first half then got pregnant with my first child. After her birth I ran 3 more half's. Each half got faster and faster. PR'd on my last race before I got pregnant with child number 2. Ran 6 halfs since he was born, and same thing...each run got faster and faster (should clarify that faster and faster means I did get slower than my pre-second child but got faster each race thereafter)...except for these last two. But two weeks ago it was just a "training" half so I didn't push myself the whole time. So my PR is still before second child, but I get sooo close. I'm not giving up, it may not be this year but I heard that runners peak in their mid-30's, so I have a handful of years to work on it.

1 comment:

April said...

I am still super bummed we didn't get to run together. I think if we had found each other we'd both be celebrating 1:57's!! I have to say that you are absolutely amazing and far too hard on yourself. Only minutes after running 13.1 you were back in Mommy mode comforting your kiddos. Somehow, working full time, mommying two kids...you find time to train. Run. Swim. Bike. Be proud of your time!! You'll get that sub-2 half, I know it!! I hope I am there to run it with you!