Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blogging Challenge #10

Did you build forts as a child?

I was very fortunate as a child in that I lived on 5 acres, we had woods and a pond, a barn, a pool etc. I also had several boy cousins and tomboy girl cousins, perhaps what you get when you live in the country. So needless to say we did a ton of building. Whether it was a raft in the pond or a fort in the woods. We were outside daily, rain or shine, warm or cold. I remember one fort we built, more like a teepee and I believe it may still be up today.

Another impressive structure was built at my grandmother's house (she lived on a farm which is still in our family today), we were giving free reign of the land and we built a 3 story tree-house (well, not full tree house) but we did have an elevator which was basically 2 paint buckets a rope and pulley. The farm had a junk yard where old tractor and car parts, wood, etc was thrown and we'd scavenge that for goods for our fort. It was glorious. I am so thankful that my grandmother allowed us kids to bring all that stuff into her front yard. Yes, the fort was in her front yard, lol. And she even allowed it to be up for a few years till we were over it before asking us to take it down.

I can't wait till my kids are in true fort building age, it was so much fun to do.

1 comment:

Life In Training said...

It's times like these the I start feeling more and more like my parents. "When I was your age...!" Your post makes me hope that we'll be able to encourage our kids to have similar experiences (if they can be separated from their game consoles long enough to give it a try!) Sigh.