Monday, September 27, 2010

Palo Alto Moonlight 10k

Last Friday I ran the Palo Alto Moonlight 10k with a coworker. It started at 8:15pm so it was definitely dark. The weather was awesome, kinda on the warm side. 70 degrees at 8pm. The run was a loop around the bay trail. Only 2 miles were on city streets so 4 miles were pitch black except for the full moon, glow sticks, flashlights and head lamps. It was beautiful seeing the east bay lights and the moon on the water, the smell of the bay was disgusting though. It was a fun race and fast crowd.

My only issues were, parking was annoying. There were signs pointing in two directions to park and the one I took was full. When I had to make 3 U-turns to get back they were removing that arrow. Thanks for the late notice.

There was no bag check (official) and they handed us our t-shirts when we got our bibs so we didn't have time to go back to the car to put them away. We put them in a reusable grocery bag and set them on a bench (the 'bag check' area).

Porta potty lines were LONG! That's why we didn't have enough time to get back to the car, we waited 10-15 min in line.

Water was a joke. At the end of the race they handed you the itty-bitty dixie cup for water. It was a shot of water, are you kidding me? Then they said keep your cup so you can reuse it. They had arrowhead jugs for people to fill up their dixie shot cup, so annoying. I had my two shots of water and then headed to my car for my bottle of water. You'd think they'd be able to hand everyone a bottle of water.

Other than that it was a good race, longer than the stated 6.2 miles. My Garmin and my coworkers Polar foot pod both registered the race as 6.35 miles. When that distance I was averaging 8:56 pace.

No comments: